Thursday, December 05, 2013

Mittens

I try to take notes and photos as I knit mittens so I can make a matching pair. I do not work from a pattern, so the notes are critical to making the second mitt. 
How long does it take?  I honestly do not know. My best guess might be at least 10 hours to knit a pair of mittens. I rarely knit them straight thru, rather allowing them to develope over a few days and sometimes weeks knitting in short periods of time.
 I sell them for $30.00 if I can find a buyer. The yarn cost in a shop, $10-20.00 depending on sources. The Alpaca wool blend I am using in project is expensive to buy.  I am using left overs so materials cost is not a factor in my priceing. However, knitting mittens cannot be about earning a living wage, it is about love, love for the person you intend them for or love for the creative process. 
It cannot be about selling Mittens for $$. People often ask how long it takes to make these mittens. I often say I do not know or care to think about my time. They find this disturbing. The idea of knitting for pleasure and creative fulfillment is so foreign to most people.  They scoff at my $30.00 price, do they think it too expensive? Do they think I am a fool to sell them so cheap?
Do they not respect my efforts because I do not charge more for my time? I will never understand them and they cannot understand me unless they knit a pair of mittens.

No comments: