Saturday, January 19, 2013

Inaugural hat for Deborah

Knit cabled Tam my original design. Inspired by a tam I saw in Knitty Magazine. My tam uses larger needles and my flower only has 6 petals the other one had 8. I knit this without a pattern just making it up as I knit knowing that the math had to come out so I had 6 equal sections to create the design I hoped to achieve. Below are some notes that I took as I knit. An experienced knitter should be able to knit a similar hat following the notes plus pictures posted below.
You may email me at spinningotter@gmail.com if you have questions.
Worsted weight Manos yarn on #9 circular needles.
Cast on 64 stitches
K2p2 for a couple rows
Knit one row
Purl around two rows
Knit row increasing (k8m1) to 72sts
(72 Divide by 6 = 12) knit 12 place marker to create a design with 6 sections in the pattern. Blossom pattern on top looks like flower with 5 petals.
You will use the markers as a guide to increase stitches inside the petals to 104 stitches to make a Tam shape.
When the hat is large enough you will decrease inside of the petals(seed stitch) to form top of the hat. Look at the photos below as a guide

No comments: