Saturday, June 05, 2010

Growing a garden, knitting on hold

The lettuce is spectacular this year. I have more lettuce than I can use. I have been giving it to my neighbor. I pulled up one big box of plants and half of another to planted potatoes under straw where the lettuce was removed. I will let some of each variety of lettuce go to seed so it can self seed the boxes for next spring. I keep thinning out the lettuce and in a couple days you cannot see where I pulled up the plants. I will add some pole beans to grow up the post in one of the boxes.


Strawberries all over the garden floor. I get about this many every day, its more than we can eat so they will go in the freezer for smoothies. I planted ever-bearing strawberries as ground cover around my beds and containers in my veggie garden and flower beds. It works really well. Sweet woodruff is growing with the strawberries and roses in the border of my veggie garden. The strawberries are hidden under the Sweet woodruff. They are hard to see but they grow well and bug free this way.

No comments: