Friday, August 17, 2007

Otter Creek Anniversary 20 years


Hi Friends of Otter Creek,
On August 1 1987 I rented a small store front on South Diamond Street in Mercer across from the back entrance of the Mercer County Court House. My idea was to have a studio to work and teach. The back room was a studio and a small retail space in the front of the store would work to sell my left over handspun yarn and spinning and weaving supplies. I stocked the store with other craft items from friends and Otter Creek Store was established. That was 20 years ago.

The August the 26th will be my 40th year married to Tom. I spent half of my married life working at Otter Creek Store. Wow ! I did not plan to live this way it just happened. I have been living my life one day at a time since I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 1989. I did not think I would be seeing my 50th birthday. So I did not plan for retirement.

A couple years ago I started to tell my friends that I wanted to retire from Otter Creek but did nothing to hasten the process. Now I am 60 and I need to start finding someone to pass this job on to. With no likely candidates in sight I listed my business with Caldwell Banker. The sign arrived this week as you can see in the photo below.
It may take a couple years to find a buyer and I want to keep the business growing and healthy so it can go on without me. It took a long time to become established and I feel that it is a worthwhile business to keep going. I thought I should email you all so when you see the sign in the window you will not be shocked. Some of you have been coming here for a long time.

Our store is open and running as usual. I am still stocking the shelves with new yarn and gifts are coming in for the holidays. I am working on new fall classes to inspire knitters and will be updating the web pages and blogg soon.


Several folks thought that maybe I was ill. No, as far as I know I am aging normally, but that is the problem. I am just tired and need more time with Tom and my garden.

Thank you for suporting my store and letting me be a small part of your life.
Please come and visit soon, bring your knitting, we have air conditioning so its still cool here to come by and stay awhile.
Love,
Nancy

No comments: